Hillingdon Borough F.C. U23s

1 - 6

Esoteric Recordings Division One Challenge Cup

Jersey Bulls U23s

Wednesday March 23, 2022, 7:45 pm

Middlesex Stadium

Esoteric Recordings Division One Challenge Cup

Match Report

Two months after their victory over London Samurai Rovers, Jersey U23s visited Hillingdon Borough in the last 16. A waterlogged pitch had postponed the match on the planned date of March 1st.

The original Hillingdon Borough, F.A. Trophy finalists in 1971, were subsumed into Burnham in 1985. A new club, based in Ruislip, reviving the name, was formed in 1990 and joined the Spartan League. Their high point was 2006, reaching the F.A. Vase final and being promoted to the Southern League.

Three years later they were back in the Spartan League Premier Division from where they were relegated to Division 1 in 2015. They remained there until 2021 when they were re-allocated to the Combined Counties League Division 1. They currently lie 16th with a record of 8-7-16 52-61. They won through two qualifying rounds of the F.A. Vase before going down to Baldock Town, but being a Step 6 club they were not one of the few at that level selected to compete in the F.A. Cup.

Jersey were without their first teamers, Joe Kilshaw, Jake Prince and Sol Solomon as well as two other regulars – Robert Martins-Figueira and James Carr. Debuts were therefore handed to Ben Le Rougetel, plus new signings Darryl Mvalo and Sammy Henia-Kamau, in a team sporting seven teenagers.

The start was delayed as an administrative error had led to the league failing to appoint any match officials. The hosts managed to contact a local official at short notice and he was assisted on the lines by a representative of each club. His naturally late arrival and the local regulations requiring the club’s floodlights to be switched off by 10p.m. meant that the match was shortened to 40 minutes each way with a minimum five-minute half-time interval.
The match eventually started just over an hour late at 8.52 and sensationally too, with debutant Darryl Mvalo scoring in the first minute and he added a second shortly afterwards.

Towards the half hour a good Jersey move ended with Kushal Frankson having his shot well saved. Hillingdon had an opportunity to reduce the lead but Ekundayo Oduwole hit the post with his 29th minute penalty. They did reduce it though, nine minutes later, when a cross from the right was finished off at close range by Furkan Cankurt.
After two added minutes it was then the earlier than usual interval and that was reduced to only five minutes to enable a swift turn around.

Seven minutes in to the second period and Rai Dos Santos danced past a couple of players and pulled it back for Toby Ritzema to restore the two-goal margin. Just before the hour good work from Frankson saw the ‘keeper make a good save only for the ball to fall to Jay Dos Santos on the edge of the box who smashed it home for 4-1.
On the hour, Jersey brought on the first of first of their five substitutes with Max Rivers replacing Frankson. Within a minute he had been hacked down by Youssef Enajar, who had already been cautioned for a foul on Josh Coutanche towards the end of the first half, so the over energetic Enajar duly received his second yellow card and Hillingdon were reduced to ten men.

Advantage was soon taken of the extra man. Good play by Mvalo, this time as provider, enabled Rai Dos Santos to add a fifth. Three minutes later substitute Max Rivers grabbed his first goal for the club when he collected a good through ball and lobbed the ‘keeper to make it six.

Jersey spent the remainder of the match giving time to their other bench warmers, including a debut for sixteen-year-old Sammy Henia-Kamau. Four minutes were added to see the full-time whistle eventually blown at 10.23 to end an initially frustrating, but eventually satisfying, long evening.

The draw for the quarter-finals is now awaited to see who Jersey meet next.

Hillingdon Borough 1 (Furkan Cankurt 38), Jersey Bulls U23 6 (Darryl Mvalo (2) 1 & 7, Toby Ritzema 47, Jay Dos Santos 59, Rai Dos Santos 64, Max Rivers 67)
(note 40 minutes each way)
Attendance – 71

Programme – Nothing produced

Hillingdon Borough – Norbert Kesse-Adu, Tom Ward, Jack Bustard, Youssef Enajar, Charlie Cahill, Mike Evans (c), Kojo Agyeman, Andre Dias-Reis, Ekundayo Oduwole, Alex Robb, Furkan Cankurt
Substitutes – Michael O’Neil (for Evans 50), Marcian Dramani (for Agyeman 55), Miles Collins (for Oduwole 62), Rickeem Jones (not used), Ryan Hill (sub GK for Kesse-Adu 70)

Kit – All Blue; GK Yellow

Staff – Anthony Obeng-Manu (Manager), Carlan Edgar (Coach), Euan Wiley (Physio.), Uthman Odutayo (Secretary), David Osbourne (Fixture Secretary)
Jersey Bulls – Luke Duncan, Luke Appleton, Josh Coutanche, Ben Le Rougetel, Sammy Sutcliffe (c), Jack Lumsden, Kushal Frankson, Jay Dos Santos, Darryl Mvalo, Toby Ritzema
Substitutes – Patrick O’Toole (for Sutcliffe 68), Max Rivers (for Frankson 60), Olly Rivers (for R. Dos Santos 72), Leandro Vieira (for Appleton 70), Sammy Henia-Kamau (for Mvalo 69)
Kit – Red/White/White; GK Green

Staff – Paul Renton (Manager), Gary Freeman (Assistant), Kevan Nelson (Coach)

Referee – Dan Negraru (Northwood) A late stand in of Romanian descent who did very well at such short notice.

Assistants – Club linesmen; Miles Collins, a Hillingdon Borough substitute for the first half and Uthman Odutayo, the secretary of Hillingdon Borough for the second. Kevan Nelson, the coach for Jersey Bulls, for the complete match.

Cautions – Youssef Enajar (HB) 35 & 61

Dismissal – Youssef Enajar (HB) 61 for two cautions

Corners – not recorded

Player of the Match Award (by commentator) – Darryl Mvalo


Web Design & Development by iPOP